As an investigative reporter for Denver’s top television station, it’s my job to dig into complicated situations, to look for the story behind the story:
- Story: Cop pleads guilty to staging his own shooting. May 20, 2016.
- Story and video: 2 school bus accidents per day in Colorado. Feb. 26, 2016.
- Story and video: Broncos in my blood, Chapter 1. Feb. 1, 2016.
- Story: Broncos in my blood, Chapter 2, Feb. 2, 2016.
- Story: Broncos in my blood, Chapter 3, Feb. 3, 2016.
- Story: Broncos in my blood, Chapter 4, Feb. 4, 2016.
- Story: Broncos in my blood, Chapter 5, Feb. 5, 2016.
- Story: Broncos in my blood, Chapter 6, Feb. 6, 2016
- Story: Broncos in my blood, Chapter 7, Feb. 7, 2016
- Story and video: Documents: Commerce City officer shot with own weapon. Jan. 19, 2016.
- Story and video: Bus driver charged in crash had been written up 20 times. Dec. 28, 2015.
- Story and video: Fetus could be used as evidence in Denver rape case. Dec. 21, 2015.
- Discussion: BOP: Real-time reporting during mass shootings. Dec. 6, 2015.
- Story and video: Officer leaves Commerce City PD after shooting charges. Nov. 30, 2015.
- Story: Commerce City officer had past legal, financial issues. Nov. 18, 2015.
- Story: Video shows fire seconds after Flight for Life crash. Nov. 13, 2015.
- Story: Woman warned of man with rifle before deadly shooting. Nov. 4, 2015.
FOX SPORTS 1
As a national investigative reporter for Fox Sports 1 from its inception in August 2013, I covered some of the biggest stories involving athletes outside the arena:
- Story: Police missed a chance to investigate Aaron Hernandez after 2012 murders. May 20, 2015.
- Story and Video: A day in court: Behind the scenes as the Hernandez verdict arrived. April 15, 2015.
- Radio: Aaron Hernandez found guilty. April 15, 2015.
- Story: Aaron Hernandez trial: Defense chips away at footprint evidence. March 18, 2015.
- Story and Video: Jurors shown video of Aaron Hernandez dismantling phone. Feb. 17, 2015
- Story and Video: Odin Lloyd’s mother emotional at Aaron Hernandez trial, Feb. 4, 2015.
- Video: Aaron Hernandez trial delayed due to juror dismissal. Feb. 3, 2015.
- Story and Video: Documents: Police, FSU hampered Jameis Winston investigation. Oct. 10, 2014.
- Radio: An inside look into the Adrian Peterson case. Oct. 8, 2014.
- Story: Aaron Hernandez’s attorneys conclude arguments to exclude evidence. Oct. 2, 2014.
- Story and video: NCAA agrees to settle concussion lawsuit. July 29, 2014.
- Story: Judge OKs $2 billion sale of Los Angeles Clippers. July 28, 2014.
- Story: Donald Sterling makes testy appearance during fight for Clippers. July 8, 2014.
- Story: Aaron Hernandez is having trouble paying his attorneys. May 30, 2014.
- Story: Aaron Hernandez pleads not guilty in latest murder. May 28, 2014
- Story: Aaron Hernandez indicted in 2012 drive-by shooting in South Boston that left two men dead. May 15, 2014.
- Story: Why are so many colleges, universities facing federal investigations for their handling of sexual assault cases? May 12, 2014.
- Story: Federal government opens Title IX investigation of Florida State University’s handling of Jameis Winston sexual assault allegations. April 3, 2014
- Video: Jameis Winston not charged after investigation. Dec. 5, 2013.
- Video: Charges looming for Jameis Winston? Nov. 23, 2013
As senior reporter at I-News at Rocky Mountain PBS between October 2012 and August 2013, I was involved in long-term investigative reporting on issues that matter to Colorado:
- Colorado’s Deadliest Neighborhood, May 19, 2013
- Gun Deaths in Colorado, March 10, 2013
- Losing Ground, Jan. 20, 2013
The Denver Post
As a staff writer and editor at The Denver Post between March 2009 and October 2012, I was fortunate to tackle interesting stories on a variety of topics:
- Aurora theater shooting: Alex Sullivan’s life is framed in touching memories, July 26, 2012
- Key questions linger in prominent cold case: The killing of Peggy Hettrick, Dec. 18, 2011
- Resolving 1993 murder of Englewood 5-year-old took advances in forensic science, Oct. 9, 2011
Father’s Day tough on dads separated from families, June 19, 2011
- Thrust into the role of a decider, May 22, 2011
- Adams road-widening project paved with irregularities, Feb. 27, 2011
- Adams County Commissioner could be giving friends, relatives unfair advantage, Jan. 30, 2010
- Unusual case evolves around welfare, abuse of siblings, Dec. 12, 2010
- Precious time: The death of Bob Rigg, Nov. 5, 2010
- Reckless record ends in senseless tragedy, April 5, 2009
- Jacobson guilty on all counts for fatal crash near DIA, April 8, 2010
- David Lane seeks cases that keep government on leash, Nov. 1, 2009
- Classic car crushed by firetruck outside Evergreen, June 11, 2009
- From government witness to castaway, March 8, 2009
I am often asked about “The Crossing” — the mammoth 34-part series I wrote for the Rocky Mountain News that was published in early 2007. The series examined the lifelong implications of Colorado’s worst traffic accident, a 1961 collision of a high-speed passenger train and a school bus outside Greeley that took the lives of 20 children. “The Crossing” was the most difficult, challenging, interesting and rewarding story I’ve ever told, and I was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Feature Writing for that series. After The Rocky’s demise, its website slowly disappeared and today that series and its extras, like the accompanying video documentaries, podcasts and photographs, are no longer accessible on the Internet. UPDATE — “The Crossing” is again accessible on the Internet! You can find it at here.
As one who thinks almost non-stop about writing — who sits in movie theaters and considers the way the narrative was contructed — one of my great pleasures is to come across the work of others that moves me in some important way. Each of these stories, in my estimation, was masterfully written:
- Between the sacred and the mundane, The Los Angeles Times, June 21, 2011
- Lynwood mortuary director is skilled in the quiet rites of death, The Los Angeles Times, May 10, 2011
- What Happened to Air France Flight 447?, The New York Times Magazine, May 4, 2011
- Attacked by a grizzly, Part I, The Los Angeles Times, April 29, 2007
- Attacked by a grizzly, Part II, The Los Angeles Times, April 30, 2007
- Final Salute, the Rocky Mountain News, Nov. 9, 2005
- Can You Say … “Hero”?, Esquire magaine
- Resurrecting The Champ, Los Angeles Times, May 4, 1997